Saturday, June 5, 2010

Another free day in London

I kept myself nice and busy today, even though I was tired and kind of wanted a nap...aren't you proud of me? I'm really trying hard to milk this last week for all that it's worth. :)

This morning I went to Portobello Road Market, like I've done every Saturday morning while I've been here. I spent longer than usual there this time, because I had to say goodbye. I'm going to miss that market. It's just the perfect blend for me - the great deals on food and scarves, vintage jewelry, and the whole atmosphere. I cried a little inside when I finally had to leave. Sigh...I don't like this whole end-of-trip thing. It's not cool.

After I dropped off my purchases from Portobello and ate lunch at the flat I took the tube over to see Temple Church. Of course, with my luck, it was closed today...lol. I'll try to go back and see it sometime next week, but the only other time it's supposed to be open when I'm available is Thursday morning, and that's my last day here. Anyway, we'll see if I make it after all. After that little side-trip, I stopped by the London Coliseum, home to the English National Opera (or ENO as it is usually called) to pick up a discount day-of ticket for Puccini's well-known opera Tosca.

After buying my ticket, I ran back to the flats to take a 15 minute power nap (mostly to alleviate my headache), ate dinner, and left for the opera!

I'm really glad that I went to an opera here. I've wanted to since I got here, and haven't managed to get around to it until now. I was a little disappointed though...because it was translated into English. I don't just mean that there were surtitles (that's what they call subtitles here), but the singers were all singing in English instead of Italian. Boo. English is an ugly language for an opera, especially when compared with Italian. Aside from that, I really loved the whole production. The singers were all very good, the orchestra was spot-on, the set was actually really cool, and I had a good seat. Overall, I think my favorite part of it was the villain of the story: the performer who played him not only had a fabulous voice, but he was a pretty good actor too, which is surprising for an opera. Usually the people on stage just prance around a little and sing beautifully, you know? But this performer really acted - he had objectives, tactics, and a real personality! The character is a total scumbag, and I positively detested him, but I really enjoyed detesting him because the performer was so good. Funny thing - at the end of the performance, when he came onstage to take his solo bow, the audience actually booed! I've never seen that happen before! Of course, we were all clapping too, because we really loved him, it's just that the character is so slimy and despicable and devoid of even a sliver of goodness, we just had to "boo". All in all, I'm really glad I went. I love opera. (Nerdy, right? But it's SO pretty, and it takes SO much talent! It's amazing!!!!)

Well, I need to hit the sack - it's nearly midnight and I have church at 9:00 tomorrow morning. I'm getting really excited to see you all again - it's been a long time without any close friends or family...I miss you guys.
Cheers!

0 comments:

Post a Comment